Thursday, August 15, 2013

Fire Truck Cake


My gorgeous little man turns 2 this week - how did that happen?!  Seriously, it feels like he was just born the other day!

He is a stereotypical little boy through and through - he loves anything with wheels.  Cars, trucks, tractors, motorbikes, planes...you name it!  So for his 2nd birthday, he requested a fire truck cake.

There's no fire truck in the good old Women's Weekly Kids' Cake Book, so I turned to the internet for inspiration.  I gathered ideas from here and there, and was really happy with the end result.

It's certainly not as professional as many you see (namely, the fondant ones!) - but my heart lies with butter cream icing, so that was my weapon of choice!

I baked the cake and made the icing the day before, so when I came to actually create the fire truck, it only took me just over an hour.  It was pretty straightforward really, so I'll take you through it step by step!

Start with a slab cake.  I used Women's Weekly Butter Cake (triple recipe) - I used my deep roasting pan which is about 40cm x 30cm.



Level the top, then cut into half length-ways, to have two long rectangles.

Place one on a cake board.  Cut the other into halves, then one of those into halves again.  Arrange into fire truck shape, as below (use a bit of icing in between each part to help it stick in place).



Make a double batch of buttercream.  Tint two thirds red (I used pillar box red).  Split the rest in half, keep one part white and tint the other part grey (using black food colouring).

Ice as shown.


Decorate as desired.  I used chocolate biscuits, red & orange jelly lollies, licorice rolls, smarties and white buttercream.


Put in the candles and enjoy!


The happiest little birthday boy you'll ever see :-)

No comments:

Print