Saturday, May 11, 2013

Healthy Mother's Day: Paleo Beetroot Cake & Fruit Cupcakes


This recipe is taken from a blog called The Saffron Girl...I wanted a healthy, real food treat to make my mum & mum-in-law for Mother's Day.  I LOVE that it is gluten, dairy & refined sugar-free - and the taste is simply divine!  I added some frozen raspberries on top and that make it just amazing.  Unfortunately, I had big issues with it sticking to my silicone heart-shaped cupcake pan, so I nearly didn't blog it - but they really do taste so good! The photo doesn't really do them justice...but these are definitely worth a try (and make sure you line your pan with baking paper, or grease it really well!)

Ingredients
3 cups of grated, cooked beetroots
4 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup raw honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup raw 100% cocoa powder
1/3 cup coconut flour (for a slightly fluffier and dryer cake, use 1/2 cup coconut flour)*

Process
Preheat oven to 170C (350F).

In a food processor or blender, beat the beetroots, eggs and olive oil.
Add the honey, vanilla extract, baking soda, sea salt and spices. Blend well.
Add the cocoa powder and coconut flour and mix until well incorporated.
Pour into a greased cake pan of choice. I used a 9-inch diameter tart pan.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool completely before cutting and serving. Garnish as desired.

*I’ve made this cake both ways, with more and less coconut flour. I really can’t say which I prefer, as I love both. I would suggest making it both ways and deciding for yourself too!



AND here is my contribution for family brunch tomorrow!  I was on fruit duty, but wanted something a bit fancier than just your usual platter!  Very happy with the result  - I just used cookie cutters for the watermelon and a knife for the rest.

No comments:

Print