Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Strawberry, Lime & Vanilla Jam


My mum and grandma are the best jam-makers I know. Grandma makes the BEST apricot jam you'll ever taste (made from big, juicy, sweet, South Australian apricots), while mum makes a pretty mean strawberry jam, along with marmalades, chutneys, relishes - you name it! But it was actually with a group of girls on the weekend that I made my first foray into jam-making - and here is my first solo effort. I did a bit of searching and comparing and found this recipe. All I can say is - WOW! The flavours are amazing! My jam came out a little runnier than what you'd buy in the shop, but strawberry jam is known for that, because of the lack of pectin. I was really pleased with the result, and am hoping this is the start of a long love affair with jams and preserves! But what did Liam & Robbie think? Check out the Family Show Taste Test below.

PS The delicious pikelets in the photo are made by my amazing husband, using this recipe.  Pretty talented, isn't he?!?

Ingredients
1kg strawberries, chopped (it was 750g once they had been hulled)
2 cups sugar, divided use
2 vanilla beans, split and pulp scraped from inside the beans
1 lime, zested and juiced

Method
Place the berries into a large bowl, and mix with 1 cup of sugar, the vanilla beans and vanilla seeds. Allow the berries to macerate for at least 2-3 hours. A thick, rich sugary syrup will develop.

Pour macerated strawberries into a large pot and add the remaining cup of sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the jam reaches 220 degrees (using a candy thermometer).  Here is the best method for testing if your jam is ready.  Add the lime zest and juice in the final 5 minutes of cooking. Remove the vanilla bean pods.

Transfer jam to clean, sterilised jars. 


And now for the Family Show Taste Test - how did the boys rate it?

No comments:

Print