Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lamingtons


I'm very excited today to be putting in my entries for this year's Ekka!  For the non-Brisbane readers, that's the Royal Queensland Show.  I debuted at the Ekka last year and got 3rd place for my carrot cake - so I'm re-entering that category, along with Banana Cake and Lamingtons.  That's my entries pictured above!  I also had a few entries in the local Pine Rivers Show on the weekend - so I'll bring you all the results later this week.  So here's the recipe for the Lamingtons - I used one from the CWA - fingers crossed they are worthy of a prize!  Plus hear the early judging from Liam & Robbie below :-)

Ingredients
125g butter
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup SR Flour
2/3 cup milk
1 tspn vanilla

Icing

3cups icing sugar
1 tspn butter
1 tspn vanilla
1 tbspn cocoa

Method
Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, add eggs one at a time. Add flour alternatively with milk.

Pour mix into a greased lamington slab tin, 11 inches by 7 inches and bake in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes.

After it's thoroughly cooled cut into four centimetre by 4cm pieces. Wrap cake in foil and put in the freezer.

Put icing ingredients in a double boiler, over boiling water.  And mix until smooth, adding a dash of hot water.

Then put a lamington on a fork and ladel icing over the top until covered, hold it while it drips then roll in fine coconut.

Dry on cake rack with greaseproof paper over the top of it, or underneath to catch the coconut.

Tip: When transporting Lamingtons put extra coconut at the bottom of the container to prevent sticking to the bottom.

1 comment:

Tashie said...

Those lamingtons looks perfect! Perfect cubes, sharp edges. Almost too good to eat.

Print