Monday, February 20, 2012

Beef & Vegetable Meatloaf


I'm a bit (okay, a lot) of a meatloaf fan and have tried a few over the years.  And I have to say, this one, from the Michelle Bridges "Crunch time Cookbook", is by far the healthiest and yummiest that I've made!  It was really easy too...and a nice healthy change to serve it with some salad greens rather than my usual weakness, mashed potato!

Ingredients (serves 6)
800g lean beef mince
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, coarsely grated
1 zucchini, coarsely grated
1/2 cup rolled oats
5 tablespoons low-cal tomato sauce
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
freshly ground black pepper
120g mixed salad leaves, to serve

Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.  Lightly grease an 11cm x 25cm loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, carrot, zucchini, oats, tomato sauce, herbs, garlic, salt, chilli and pepper.

Knead the mixture with your hands until combined, then pack lightly into the prepared pan.  Place on a baking tray and cook for 1 hour or until the loaf shrinks away slightly from the sides of the pan.  Pour off any excess juices, then leave to stand for 10 minutes.

Slice using a serrated knife and serve with the salad leaves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe over the weekend and it was FABULOUS. I used lamb mince instead of beef (as I don't eat beef) and used fresh rosemary instead of the herbs suggested. Thanks for a great recipe, I will be making it again.

Print