Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Rum Balls/Choc Mint Balls



Rum Balls are one of those Christmas staples that you really can't do without in the festive season!  So I wanted to make a batch, but didn't really think the rum variety was appropriate for the playgroup break-up I was taking them to (although it would be a good way to keep the kiddies away and leave more for the mums!)  So I decided to experiment and instead of the rum, I put in a teaspoon of peppermint essence.  I LOVED the result!  I think I'll just make choc-mint balls all the time now.  I also did a variation where I added some fruit mince (just from a bought jar) and some spices.  They were ok, but mint is the winner for me :-)  This original recipe is from one of my favourite food websites, www.exclusivelyfood.com.au

Ingredients
250g Nice biscuits
24g (3 tablespoons) cocoa powder
42g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
395g can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
30ml (1 1/2 tablespoons) rum
130g (2/3 cup, lightly packed) sultanas
About 65g (3/4 cup) desiccated coconut, for coating

Method
Place biscuits and cocoa in a food processor or blender and crush biscuits very finely.

If you used a blender, pour the crushed biscuit and cocoa mixture into a large bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients (except the coconut for coating).

If you used a food processor, you can add the 1/2 cup coconut, condensed milk, vanilla and rum to the biscuit crumbs and process until the mixture is well combined. Then add the sultanas and process on very low speed until just combined.

Place mixture in refrigerator or freezer until it is firm enough to roll into balls (about 30 minutes in the refrigerator). If the mixture is too soft, it will be sticky and difficult to roll properly and the rum balls will not hold their shape.

Sprinkle coconut for coating onto a plate or into a flat-bottomed dish. Roll generously heaped teaspoons of mixture into balls, and then roll in coconut. Store, preferably in a single layer, in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Print