Saturday, July 16, 2011

Single-serve Chocolate Pudding


Let me paint the picture...it's Friday night, hubby is away, toddler is in bed, I'm almost 8 months pregnant and decide I NEED something sweet while I park my large frame in front of the TV.

Introducing...single-serve chocolate pudding!  It takes 10 minutes from the first thought to the first mouthful and I can tell you, it certainly hits the spot!

And even though it's called single-serve, I have to admit it was too much, even for me & my unborn child to devour!  But it tastes just as good reheated the next day.  Dangerously easy and indulgent!

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk

Sauce:
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup boiling water

Method:
Put the butter into a bowl (or very large mug) and microwave for about 30 seconds until melted.  Add the brown sugar and vanilla and mix well.

Add the flour, cocoa, egg and enough milk to make a smooth and thick mixture.

Combine the sauce ingredients and pour it over the mixture.

Cook in the microwave on high for 2.5 - 5 minutes.  This will depend on the power of your microwave, so just keep a close eye on it.

Relax and enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! will have to try this tomorrow night. I wanted to make something easy for a quick dessert tonight and have made the mug chocolate cake but not a pudding with sauce. So can't wait to try this. Was really hanging to have some chocolate tonight but will wait and be patient til tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I usually make this one, delicious http://www.notquitenigella.com/2009/05/29/the-five-minute-chocolate-mug-cake/

E said...

Hi, been thinking of making this for ages now and this cold winter's nite was perfect.. but we have close to the largest mugs you can get and there's NO WAY it fits in there. Maybe if the mixture was split across two gigantic mugs but definitely not one.

Also, I used raw sugar instead of brown and that maybe the culprit, but I'd definately half the cocoa. It was WAY too chocolatey (almost bitter) and not sweet enough for us. That said our 4 year old devoured some.

Vanessa Gibson said...

Thanks for the feedback! Yep, definitely too big for a mug, I always use a bowl for fear of overflow in the microwave! Fair point about the cocoa - I kind of like that it's not too over-the-top-sweet - but each to their own! Glad your little enjoyed it too :-)

Vanessa Gibson said...

Thanks for the feedback! Yep, definitely too big for a mug, I always use a bowl for fear of overflow in the microwave! Fair point about the cocoa - I kind of like that it's not too over-the-top-sweet - but each to their own! Glad your little enjoyed it too :-)

Unknown said...

Not sure why mine went so wrong (I did sprinkle/pour sauce instead of combine) but it overflowed loosing most of its water (1 cup did seem to much) so ended up dry :-(
Will practice making perfect as it was delish

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of this recipe.

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe in the mircrowave using a small casserole dish similiar to the one pictured. It almost overflowed in tat dish so i would recommend using a large bowl to be safe. Sprinkling the dry suace materials and then puring the boiling water over the top using the back of a spoon works better. I didnt use as much brown sugar or cocoa in either the pudding or sauce and it turned out brilliant. Yummy!

Print